Sunday, January 9, 2011

Time to Pull some Weeds?

A few months ago I was talking with a dear Friend. She told me that she was so happy and was feeling really great about recent decisions she had been making. Knowing the personal trials she had been going through I couldn't help but ask about these decisions. She informed me that she had been 'Pulling Weeds'. Hmmm pulling weeds, but is winter...No, no, no not actual weeds. What she meant was 'friendship weeds' stepping back and looking at the friend relationships, and seeing which were thriving and which were 'dead'. This got me thinking...'I need to pull some weeds'.


I've heard it put like this...
If you are standing on a chair and your friend is standing on the floor,
What is easier? Pulling your friend up, or them pulling you down? Pulling down of course.

This is still very true. There are two kinds of friends: FRUITFUL & FRUITLESS

"The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray."
Psalm 12:26

The Fruitless:

"One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin..."
Proverbs 18:24


fruitless [ˈfruːtlɪs] adj *yielding nothing or nothing of value; unproductive; ineffectual* 

These are those friends we all have, the ones who bring nothing to the relationship. They might complain a lot, belittle, judge, and never ask "how are you doing?" and really mean it. The conversation are always one sided...ever time. No uplifting conversation. These are the friend that my husband wishes I didn't have. When I get together or talk on the phone with them, he says afterwards I'm usually in a very bad mood..."Its like you have been pulled through the mud."

The Fruitful:
*bearing fruit in abundance*

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."
John 15:13

fruitful [ˈfruːtfʊl] adj
Wonderful, Godly, Compassionate, Caring, Beautiful...just a few word to describe a fruitful friend. These are the friends who are there for you no matter what...sadness, happiness, joy, pain, celebration, they are by your side. These are the kind of friends who will just sit in silence with you while you cry.



It's 2011 and I have pulled my weeds. I am happy and feel free of the burden that has been resting on my shoulders for many months and years. Now, I only wish that I have done it sooner.

At church I met two wonderful women. I have so much in common with each. While visiting with one, she told me that she had been meaning to introduce herself to me, but never had the chance because we were both always in such a hurry. This made me think, how often do we rob our selves of fruitful relationships because we are too busy?

From now on I choose Fruitful Friendships...How about you? Do you need to pull some weeds of your own?

Just a little 'fruit' for thought:)

No comments:

Post a Comment